Pets are more than just animals. Our furry, feathered, and finned friends require time, attention, and as safe and comfortable a home as we do. And making adjustments for your fluffy little family member to be safe and comfortable at home will require some work, just as optimizing the living space for yourself did. But it's a small price to pay to give your little guy or gal a happy life. But, don't worry – we got you.
Making your home suitable for you and your pet has gotten a lot easier. And with a bit of resourcefulness, a lot of creativity, and our handy tips and tricks on making your home pet-friendly, your home will be ready in no time!
1. Pet-Friendly Sofa/Chair Materials
There are a lot of fabrics and materials that look great in our homes but might not be the best for our pets. Some materials can irritate your pet’s skin, while others can be easily destroyed by their nails or teeth. When reupholstering or buying new furniture, keep these things in mind and always opt for pet-friendly materials like:
- Leather – It’s easy to clean, durable, and scratch-resistant.
- Faux leather – It looks and feels like the real thing but is more budget-friendly and still just as easy to clean and scratch-resistant.
- Microfiber – Another fabric that is easy to clean and maintain. Just make sure to check if the fabric is treated with any chemicals that could be harmful to your pet.
2. Cover Your Furniture With a Blanket
If you’re not ready to part with your current furniture or can’t afford new pieces right now, don’t worry. You can still make your existing furniture work by covering it with a pet-friendly blanket or throw. Not only will this protect your furniture from damage, but it will also add an extra layer of warmth and comfort for your pet. And when it starts to look worn, simply toss it in the wash and it’ll be as good as new.
3. Invest in Multi-Use Furniture
If you have a small home or are simply short on space, investing in furniture that serves more than one purpose is a great way to save some much-needed square footage. And when it comes to pet-friendly furniture, there are tons of great options that will make both you and your pet happy. A few of our favorites include:
- A storage ottoman that doubles as a pet bed – Perfect for small spaces, this type of ottoman can easily be moved from room to room and provides a place for your pet to sleep that’s off the ground (which is important for pets who are prone to joint pain).
- A coffee table with extra pet space – This is a great option if you have a larger pet who likes to have their own space. The built-in storage provides a place for them to sleep or relax that’s out of the way but still close to you.
4. Invest in a Rug
If you have hardwood floors, tile, or another type of flooring that isn’t very comfortable for your pet, invest in a rug. Not only will it make your home more comfortable for your pet, but it will also protect your floors from scratches. And if you have a pet that likes to shed, a rug is a great way to help contain the mess. Just make sure to choose a rug that’s made from durable materials that can withstand wear and tear.
5. Create Dedicated Pet Storage That’s Not an Eye Sore
One of the biggest challenges of having a pet-friendly home is finding a place to store all of your pet’s stuff. But, with a little bit of creativity, you can easily find storage solutions that are both functional and stylish. A few of our favorite ideas include:
- A storage bench – This is a great option if you have a small pet. The bench provides a place to store your pet’s food, toys, and other supplies and can also be used as a makeshift bed.
- An over-the-door shoe organizer – This is a great way to store your pet’s leashes, collars, and other supplies. And the clear pockets make it easy to see what you have and grab what you need without having to search through a bunch of stuff.
- A pet food station – This is a great option if you have a larger pet. By creating a dedicated pet food station, you can keep their food and supplies organized and out of the way. Plus, it’s a great way to add a personal touch to your home.
Following these tips will help you turn your house into a safe and comfortable haven for both you and your pet. Creating a pet-friendly home doesn't have to be difficult or time-consuming. With a little bit of effort, you can easily make your home a welcoming place for all members of your family – furry or not!
And if your furry friend has chosen your couch, table, or any other furniture item to destroy, you can always count on Westco Home Furnishings for your replacement pieces. And if you come across questions while shopping, our team is ready to help! Just give us a call or stop in today!